If you are searching for how to set up out of office in Gmail, then you are in the right place. In this article, you are going to know how to set up an automatic out of office reply for your emails when you’re going away on vacation. Also Read: How To Delete Gmail Emails In Bulk – 3 Best Ways
This automatic reply lets people who email you know that you won’t be able to instantly reply to them. Here’s how to set up an out of office Gmail reply on your desktop or on an iPhone or Android device.
How to Set Up Out of Office in Gmail on Desktop
Go to Gear Settings icon > Settings > Vacation responder to set up an out of office reply in Gmail on your computer. Then turn On Vacation Responder, write your default message, and click Save Changes.
- Open your Gmail account.
- Click the gear icon in the top-right corner.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down and check the box next to “Vacation Responder On“.
- Next, set your dates for automatic answers. Check the Last Day box and enter the last day that you want automatic responses to be sent. If you want to manually turn off automatic replies when you get back to the office, you can skip this step. If you’re not sure when you’ll be back, this might be more convenient.
- Then type your out of office response. This will be the automatic response sent to people who email you while you are out of office.
- You can also check the box next to Only send a response to people in my Contacts box. Your out-of-office response will be sent to everyone who sends you an email if you do not check this box. If you use your company or school’s Gmail account, you also have the option of sending an automated reply only to individuals in your organization.
- Now, click on save changes.
Note: As it sends automated responses, Gmail adds the signature automatically. So, you don’t have to add your signature to your message. Gmail only sends each recipient a vacation response once, unless you are emailed again after four days or longer by the same user.
You may also love to Read: 10 Best Ways To Increase Laptop Battery Life
How to Set Up Out of Office in Gmail App
Simply go to Menu > Settings to set the vacation response in the Gmail app on your iPhone or Android device. Choose your account and go to the Vacation Responder. Switch on the Vacation Responder, enter your message, and tap Save Changes.
- Open your Gmail app. If you don’t have the Gmail app on your phone, you can download it from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Then tap the Menu bar from the top left corner.
- Scroll down and select Settings.
- Select the Gmail account you want to set up out of office reply. You will see your email accounts at the top.
- Next, choose Vacation Responder from the General section.
- Set your dates for automatic answers. If you want to manually turn off automatic responses when you get back to the office, you can pick none for the Last Day.
- Lastly, on an Android user, tap Done or Save on an iPhone or iPad. You can find this in your screen’s top-right corner.
You can also press the slider next to Send only to my Contacts. This allows Gmail to only send an out-of-office response to your contacts. But if you want your holiday answer sent to anyone, you can skip this.
If you use your company or school’s Gmail account, you also have the option of sending an automated reply only to individuals in your organization.
How to Turn Off Out of Office in Gmail
You can disable the Vacation Responder in two ways. You will see a message at the top of your inbox about the respondent’s status while it is activated.
You can click End now to automatically turn the responder off. This is an easy way to disable it without having to check your Gmail settings again in order to change the response settings.
In Gmail settings, however, if you prefer to disable the Holiday Responder, you can either pick Holiday Settings in the notification message or go back to your Gmail Settings window.
To find the Vacation responder section again, scroll down to the bottom of the Gmail Settings menu.
To disable the automatic responder, select Vacation Responder Off.
Remember, if you set the Last Day field to the end date of your holiday, you won’t have to do this. The Vacation Responder will be deactivated automatically after this date.
But the above method will work if you want to turn off the Vacation Responder before setting the Last Day setting.
Create Smarter Out of Office Replies in Gmail with Filters
If you want to create a more targeted auto-reply with customized messages for particular users, you can do this by using Gmail Filters.
Until you can use the auto-replay filter, you need to create an email template to respond. To do this, please write a new email to Gmail with the email you want to respond to. Then click the three dots “More” menu at the bottom right corner of the window, select Templates, choose Save as a template, and then choose Save as a new template.
Offer a name to the template in the pop-up window.
Go back to Gmail Settings to use Gmail filters. Select Filters and Block Addresses at the top of the Settings window.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page and select Create a new filter.
Type the email address you want to auto-reply to in the From field in the Create Filter form. When you’re done, select Create Filter.
Allow the checkbox next to the Send template in the Create Filter window. In the drop-down box, pick the Boss Reply template you created earlier.
Finally, just select the Create Filter button at the bottom and your new filter and auto-reply will now be working.
Now, every time the person with the address you specified in the filter sends you an email, they’ll receive an out-of-office reply with the template you’ve generated.
Related Article: How To Delete YouTube History Without Account
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I set up an Out of Office message in Gmail?
To set up an Out of Office message in Gmail, go to Gmail Settings, then General, and scroll down to the “Vacation responder” section.
Can I schedule my Out of Office message in Gmail?
Yes, you can schedule your Out of Office message in Gmail by specifying the start and end dates in the Vacation responder settings.
Can I customize the subject and message of my Out of Office reply?
Absolutely! You can customize both the subject and the message of your Out of Office reply to suit your preferences.
What happens when someone emails me while my Out of Office is active?
When someone emails you during your Out of Office period, they will receive an automated response with the message you’ve set, letting them know you’re currently unavailable.
Is it possible to set up different Out of Office messages for internal and external contacts?
No, Gmail’s Out of Office feature doesn’t allow you to set up different messages for internal and external contacts. It sends the same message to everyone who emails you during that time.